In recent years, the many technological advancements and changing customer demands have drastically changed the way organizations operate. Organizations are now becoming more lean and agile. And to become agile, most of them are transforming by utilizing a combination of automation and DevOps approach.
So, what is DevOps? The term DevOps is strongly aligned with lean and agile concepts. This involves practices and tools that enhance the ability of an organization to deliver its services quickly and efficiently. It breaks the barriers between the IT department in an organization and enables more collaboration making the whole development and delivery process more effective and efficient.
Some other benefits of DevOps include:
- Reduction in environment downtime by more than 70 percent
- Reduction in time spent or coding by almost 70-80 percent
- Reduction in development effort by 30 percent
With every passing day, more and more organizations see DevOps as their preferred software development model. According to Grand View Research, the coming years are going to be big for DevOps: Globally, the DevOps market size is expected to be worth $12.85 billion by 2025.
Cloud computing forms the basis of DevOps tools available today and makes DevOps implementation part easier. It helps organizations by making every step of DevOps operation successful. Through cloud technology, apps can be easily developed and tested in multiple environments. This saves time, reduces cost, increases efficiency, and is more secure too. The best part is the fact that you pay for only what you use.
DevOps services of leading vendors
If you are someone looking for information about DevOps service on the cloud, then this article can help you. We have researched and shared information about the five best cloud service providers from the DevOps perspective: Alibaba Cloud vs AWS vs Google Cloud vs IBM vs Microsoft.
#1 Alibaba Cloud
Alibaba Cloud offers powerful DevOps services which can cover all life cycle of DevOps. Most of its tools and services support multi-cloud environment.
It provides some open source tools like Terraform, Ansible, Chef, and Packer to allow users to easily build their environment. With the support of Terraform and Packer, users can swiftly deploy their applications and infrastructure on Alibaba Cloud. Subsequently, Alibaba Cloud users can save time and focus on everyday business-critical needs.
Furthermore, Alibaba Cloud provides Cloud Container Service that supports the use of Kubernetes clusters to manage container applications in it. It provides some other features like service orchestration, service discovery, auto-scaling, and failure schedule.
There are other products such as Function Compute and ROS by Alibaba Cloud to support the DevOps lifecycle.
Main benefits of Alibaba Cloud DevOps services:
- They cover all life cycles of DevOps and support multi-cloud.
- There are wide varieties of open source tools and services that Alibaba Cloud provides. Hence, giving you more power to choose your own products as per your business requirements.
- The automated O&M tools help users manage complex cloud infrastructure, quickly create images, and deploy applications on multi-cloud infrastructure.
- Alibaba Cloud provides data protection from DDoS attacks for free.
Visit website: Alibaba Cloud
AWS (Amazon Web Services) offers a variety of tools aimed at supporting DevOps services practices in the cloud. Some of the core services provided by AWS for DevOps are CodeBuild, CodePipeline, and CodeDeploy. CodeBuild and CodeDeploy help users to automate the container’s delivery and deployment process.
AWS CodeBuild helps to automate the process of building code where it gets compiled, tested, and deployed. It makes sure that your copies of produced artifacts are maintained and stay secure. Then there is AWS Code Deploy that makes it simple for you to manage the builds and helps in instant patch and upgrade at once.
CodePipeline is a continuous delivery service that lets AWS users create a channel or pipeline where all the processes can be automated, required to release the software.
AWS also supports open-source tools like Chef, Puppet, Jenkins, and more.
Main benefits of AWS DevOps services:
- It simplifies provisioning and infrastructure management and helps you deliver the services at high velocity.
- It increases the efficiency of the overall software development lifecycle processes.
- It gives you more control over who can access your resources through AWS Identity and Access Management (IAM).
- You only pay for services as and when you use them.
Visit website: AWS
#3 Google Cloud
The search giant also provides DevOps related tools and services. Google Cloud Platform manages the software development lifecycle by incorporating configuration management tools – Stackdriver Monitoring, Stackdriver debugger, Stackdriver Logging, and security scanner service (App Engine).
It also provides full cloud development solutions for platforms like Android Studio, Visual Studio, Eclipse, PowerShell, etc. Google Cloud offers management tools like Cloud Deployment Manager and Cloud Console.
Cloud Deployment Manager is an infrastructure deployment service that lets you completely focus on the development part as it automates the creation and management of Google Cloud Platform resources. DevOps team can describe the Deployment Manager about what their deployment should look like and they will apply the relevant tools and processes for you. Once the final procedure is created, it is further repeatable and scalable as required.
Cloud Console is a web-based interface that lets the DevOps team manage resources, monitor issues, reduce costs, and more.
Google Cloud also integrates with Jenkins on Container Engine which lets you manage containers and deploy resources when needed, making your pipeline more organized.
Main benefits of Google Cloud DevOps services:
- It automates builds, test, and deployment operations.
- It provides monitoring feature that accelerates the troubleshooting, and resumes the apps and services back to their correct state.
- It has one of the largest computer networks.
- It is secure and cost-efficient.
Visit website: Google Cloud
IBM introduced DevOps Insights as a set of DevOps services in the cloud. DevOps insights provides comprehensive insights of data across your DevOps tools to boost speed with quality and control. The DevOps Insights integrates with Jenkins, urban code, Travis CI, and many other open-source DevOps tools. It automatically monitors your deployment risks on the basis of test data that you publish.
IBM DevOps Insights can accept data from IBM, third party, or open-source tools. It also supports multi-cloud deployment. With Insights, you can access your apps and services’ status across all DevOps tools in your pipeline from a single dashboard. You can track how they are running, analyze, and yield valuable information as to which jobs are having problems while it runs, and which one is taking the longest time.
Further, you can troubleshoot the issue with your pipelines to increase your deployment velocity and get more control over the process.
Main benefits of IBM DevOps services:
- It provides high speed with quality and control.
- It has a better security model. It keeps your data encrypted when at rest or in transit and limits the data access to only those users who require it.
- It automates the set-up process of the deployment pipeline.
Visit website: IBM Cloud
Azure DevOps services involve continuous integration, continuous delivery, infrastructure as a code, monitoring tools, easy and automated provisioning, and configurations. It integrates with most leading DevOps tools in the market like Terraform, Ansible, Chef, and Puppet.
Azure DevOps comprises a wide range of services that cover the complete software development lifecycle. These are:
- Azure Boards: Azure Boards is a web service that DevOps teams can use to manage their software projects. It offers features like customizable dashboards, native support for Scrum and Kanban, and integrated reporting. With this, you can also track your work quickly and easily.
- Azure Pipelines: This is a cloud, CI/CD platform that supports containers or Kubernetes enabling you to build and test your code project automatically, quickly, and consistently.
- Azure Repos: Use this set of tools to manage and track your code performance.
- Azure Artifacts: It offers support for npm, Maven, Python, and NuGet package feeds from public and private sources.
- Azure Test Plans: It offers rich and powerful solutions for planned manual testing, user acceptance testing, and exploratory testing.
Main benefits of Microsoft DevOps services:
- They are globally available, reliable, and scalable. They also provide an SLA of 99.9% uptime.
- You can use this to build, test, and deploy in any language to any cloud or on-premises.
- Any size team can work on the same solution seamlessly.
- Provides high security to your data.
Visit website: Microsoft
In this article, we discussed the concept of DevOps, its benefits, and how it fits in an organization’s software development lifecycle. We also have gone through and added information about major cloud service providers from a DevOps perspective.
Please help us improve this article by adding your suggestions in the comments section.
Disclaimer: The information contained in this article is for general information purpose only. Price, product and feature information are subject to change. This information has been sourced from the websites and relevant resources available in the public domain of the named vendors on 4 August 2020. DHN makes best endeavors to ensure that the information is accurate and up to date, however, it does not warrant or guarantee that anything written here is 100% accurate, timely, or relevant to the website visitors.