Whether big or small, companies are looking at digitally transforming their operations to improve productivity, stay competitive, and adapt to the changing business environment. These companies rely heavily on their IT department to meet their software applications needs for digital initiatives. Overwhelmed with software requirements from across business units, IT departments are unable to fulfill their requirements. The rising cost of software developers and the lack of skilled professionals’ availability further adds to the woes.
This is where Low-Code No-Code and Citizen Development come in.
Citizen developers are individuals who are integrated into businesses as non-IT employees but are empowered by the ability to build applications to satisfy their needs. When these citizen developers build applications for a business using no code or low code software, the process is known as citizen development.
With its ability to create digital solutions quickly and to adapt to the dynamic business environment on-the-go, citizen development has become the one and only ticket to the future. A company backed by citizen development will experience an instant increase in its productivity, competency, and efficiency.
Here are the top 10 findings, predictions, and statistics that clearly establish citizen development as the future of software development.
Watch the video https://youtu.be/Wc-7G1N6ecw
Here are the highlights
- A press journal by Prescient & Strategic Intelligence has stated that the global low-code no-code development platform market is predicted to generate a revenue of $187.0 billion by 2030, rising from $10.3 billion in 2019. This market is expected to advance at a fast pace of 31.1% CAGR during the forecast period (2020-2030).
- A recent study finds out that 82 percent of organizations can’t attract and retain the quality and quantity of software engineers. They are willing to build and maintain their own apps using low-code no-code techniques.
- 72% of IT leaders now say project backlogs prevent them from working on strategic projects.
- According to Forrester’s 2021 predictions for software development, Low-code no-code will make it to the mainstream in 2021 with 75% of development shops adopting this platform.
- According to Gartner, by 2023, the number of active citizen developers at large enterprises will be at least four times the number of professional developers.
- Forrester found that low-code no-code software development helps developers make cloud-native applications more than 10-times faster (with 70% fewer resources).
- Gartner estimates that by 2024, low-code no-code application development will be responsible for more than 65% of application development activity.
- Microsoft anticipates that of the 500 million apps it expects will be created over the next five years, 450 million will be designed on low-code no-code platforms.
- Gartner estimates that by 2024, 75% of large enterprises will be using at least four low-code no-code development tools for IT application development as well as citizen development initiatives.
- A recent study by McKinsey found organizations that empower citizen developers score 33% higher on innovation measures than those that do not.