Global web hosting provider LeaseWeb today announced expansion of its portfolio of hosting services with launch of a Content Delivery Network. Organizations that require a global high-bandwidth file delivery solution can utilize LeaseWeb’s CDN to distribute large files, stream live feeds or setup video on demand (VoD).
The news comes two months after LeaseWeb released its Law Enforcement Transparency Report for 2012, becoming the first web hosting provider to do so.
LeaseWeb’s CDN solution is housed within its global network of data centers to cache web and video files. When a web user requests information or clicks on a video, the CDN streams the content from the geographically closest server. By reducing the distance that data has to travel, LeaseWeb makes ultra-large video and file downloads more efficient and reliable.
LeaseWeb’s CDN is a hybrid solution utilizing traditional hard disks for static archiving and Solid State Drive (SSD) flash memory for caching – ensuring dynamic high speed and reliability. The software driving the CDN has been developed in-house by LeaseWeb’s own R&D team.
LeaseWeb’s CDN supports HTTP live streaming (HLS) and pseudo streaming for VoD. The most popular codecs are supported, including MP4, H264, Flash video (FLV), and VP8 (WebM). This makes the CDN platform suitable for online gaming and video streaming providers.
The engineering and product development team worked on the CDN platform in a closed environment in co-operation with a number of clients. During the last couple of months LeaseWeb actively gathered feedback from its beta customers and fine-tuned the platform.
– Ignacio Manrique de Lara, CDN Manager, LeaseWeb.
Some key features of the LeaseWeb’s CDN are:
- Active distribution of large files using both push and pull technology.
- Dynamic site acceleration using pull technology.
- Accelerated download of small, frequently accessed files.
- Pseudo-streaming of video files through progressive downloading.
- Solid state storage (SSD) technology to reduce latency.
- Fast and scalable infrastructure
- Easy integration via RESTful API.
- 100% functionality through web-based management interface.
- 3.0 Tbps network: multiple transit and peering uplinks via 30 IXs and 57 PoPs.
- Fully redundant.
“During beta testing, our CDN delivered 18 Gbps of bandwidth for downloads and the performance was outstanding,” said Ignacio Manrique de Lara, CDN Manager, LeaseWeb.
“Business and consumer appetite for downloading and sharing content is insatiable, so CDNs are emerging as a key technology to offer a safe, consistent and reliable service. Our engineering and product development teams have developed a solution that addresses this need, while offering the reassurance of being backed by a leading hosting company with over 15,000 customers,” he added.
LeaseWeb’s CDN is backed with strong peering agreements, has a current total capacity of 3.0 Tbps, and offers a high capacity connection with protection from Distributed Denial of Service attacks (DDoS). The CDN also comes with robust SLAs, uptime guarantees and a dynamic real-time network performance dashboard.
LeaseWeb offers three billing options for the new service:
1. Pay as you go: up to 250 TB per month; pay per HTTP, HTTPS and API request and storage.
2. Data Traffic Commitment: from 250 to 2500 TB per month; fair use policy for HTTP, HTTPS and API request.
3. Bandwidth Commitment: for large customers; from 10 Gbps; competitive pricing.
Some other IaaS hosting offerings of LeaseWeb include dedicated servers, private and public cloud, colocation and hybrid hosting.
For more information, click here.