Joyent today launched its new Joyent Manta Storage Service, a scalable, distributed cloud object storage and data services platform with integrated compute and analysis capabilities.
The news comes a three months after Joyent Cloud Platform began offering Cloudant Database as a Service.
Joyent Manta Storage Service has an an easy-to-use interface which removes the need of managing infrastructure and enables enterprises to durably and securely store big data and then process that it using any program or tool run in a standard UNIX environment.
The object storage service also reduces the cost while eliminating the burden of frameworks and clustering typically associated with large volumes of unstructured data. Developers, system administrators, data analysts and scientists now have the storage engine to store and process any amount of data at any time quickly and affordably.
Some of the features of the new service are:
- REST with JSON API.
- Multiple data center replication with per object replication controls.
- Unlimited number of objects with no size limit per object.
- Read-after-write consistency.
- Arbitrary object versioning using SnapLink.
- A filesystem-like interface (directories, objects and links).
- MapReduce processing with arbitrary scripts and code without data transfer.
– Henry Wasik, President and CEO, Joyent.
The execution of various compute tasks such as log analysis, search index generation, financial analysis and other data-intensive tasks can now be done without any data movement or any setup of compute clusters or processing software.
Code is brought in parallel to physical servers in secure containers while data is automatically merged using the industry-standard Map/Reduce pattern.
Some of the use cases of the new service are:
- Running a checksum over data to assure its integrity.
- Log processing: clickstream analysis, MapReduce on logs.
- Text processing including search.
- Image processing: converting formats, generating thumbnails, resizing.
- Video processing: transcoding, extracting segments, resizing.
- Data Analysis and Mining: using standard tools like NumPy, SciPy and R.
Joyent has partnered with data storage management company Panzura to ensure that enterprise customers can quickly, easily and securely migrate large volumes of unstructured data from existing NAS, backup and archive storage solutions to Joyent Manta Storage Service.
“Joyent Manta Storage Service ushers in a new era of innovation in data storage and analytics, as it takes a process that was once prohibitively expensive and time-consuming and completely turns it on its head,” said Henry Wasik, president and CEO, Joyent.
“By completely changing the economics of data management, Manta allows businesses across all industries to unlock the potential of the next generation of data services,” he added.
A Joyent Cloud account is needed for using the the Joyent Manta Storage Service. Interested customers can sign up for an account here.
For more information, click here.