ICANN announces fellowship program that seeks to create a broader base of knowledgeable constituents and build capacity within the ICANN community of volunteers by reaching out to the less developed regions of the world.
As per ICANN, Participation in the program is a “fast track” experience that encourages individuals to find their niche in the ICANN community and to become the new voice of experience in their region. Recipients of the program support are now members of the GAC, ccNSO, ALAC, NCSG, IPC and the Commercial and Business Users Constituency.
The following terms and conditions needs to be fulfilled prior getting awarded with the fellowship :
- The programme is targeted at individuals new to the ICANN environment from government, the ccTLD community, academic, civil and business constituents as well as non-profits, who are NOT involved in or associated with other ICANN supported travel programmes.
- To be eligible applicants must be citizens of a low, lower-middle, or upper-middle income economy according to the economic classifications listed above.
- Successful applicants will have demonstrated:
- Ability to utilize the experiences gained from the fellowship to become a part of the next generation of ICANN leadership
- A role or interest in the Internet space
- An interest in contributing to:
- ICANN policy development processes.
- The ICANN fellowship alumni network.
- A leadership role in stimulating local interest in ICANN.
- An ICANN supporting organization or advisory committee.
The application rounds for the program are as follows :
The 46th ICANN meeting in Beijing, China to be held 7-12 April 2013
- Application Round opened: 19 September 2012 at 23:59 UTC
- Application Round closes: 2 November 2012 at 23:59 UTC
- Selected Fellows announced: 14 December 2012
The 47th ICANN meeting in Durban, South Africa to be held 14-19 July 2013
- Application Round opens: 11 January 2013 at 23:59 UTC
- Application Round closes: 22 February 2013 at 23:59 UTC
- Selected Fellows announced: 12 April 2013
The 48th ICANN meeting in TBD Latin America to be held 17-21 November 2013
- Application Round opens: 17 April 2013 at 23:59 UTC
- Application Round closes: 31 May 2013 at 23:59 UTC
- Selected Fellows announced: 19 July 2013
Know more about the terms and conditions of this programme. Application round for the 46th ICANN meeting in Beijing is about to close in a few days. The online application can be filled through this link.